A Distant Voice
Contemporary Young Adult
In life you don’t find your voice. It finds you.
Violet Hayes knows how to survive the year living with her grandmother in the small town of Wandorah, Tennessee.
• Make Rose happy
• Don’t sing or play guitar
• Avoid Sally Shaw
• Ignore Carter Jenkins
It seems simple enough, right? Wrong.
• How do you keep a depressed sister happy?
• How do you deny yourself your dream?
• How do you avoid a friendship?
• And how do you ignore a boy when he’s everywhere you turn?
Violet’s to-do list just became a whole lot harder.
14+ due to adult situations
Add A Distant Voice to your Goodreads page HERE
Top 10 Songs To Dance To
10. Like It’s Quidditch (a Harry Potter Like a g6 Parody) – you haven’t lived until you’ve danced to this song.
9. Rock DJ by Robbie Williams – purely for nostalgic purposes. This song reminds me of being eighteen and going out with my sister and friends.
8. ABC by The Jackson Five – it’s upbeat and the lyrics are easy to remember, which is super important when dancing (in my opinion). You can’t dance without belting out the lyrics!
7. Shake It Off by Taylor Swift – it’s fun, catchy and my head always bops along when I hear it.
6. Blame It On The Boogie by The Jacksons – There are actions. That is all.
5. I Just Can’t Wait To Be King from The Lion King – yes, The Lion King. I probably sound quite strange right now but trust me, put this song on and dance and you’ll never be the same again. My friend and I have what we call ‘Dancing Nights’, which pretty much means dancing in my kitchen for hours. And Disney songs are a staple of those nights. So too, are Broadway songs, which leads me to my next choice.
4. La Vie Boheme from Rent – Rent is one of my favorite musicals (and movies) and this song always makes me want to dance. Who am I kidding? This song makes me wish I was friends with them and dancing on top of the table and telling Benny to take a hike!
3. You Can’t Stop The Beat from Hairspray – this song is an epic workout. I get a stitch from singing and dancing about halfway through but when it’s playing, you seriously cannot stop dancing to it. Afterwards, you can barely breathe, but it’s worth it!
2. Spice Up Your Life by Spice Girls – a song where I can jump around like a maniac. That’s what dancing’s all about.
1. Don’t Stop Movin’ by S Club 7 – I couldn’t go to a party in my final year of high school without this song coming on. And if it comes on now I’m the first to squeal and run to the dance floor.
Favorite 5 Ballads To Belt Out
5. All Out Of Love by Air Supply – I’ve only recently discovered the joy of belting this one out. That chorus is epic.
4. Mean by Taylor Swift – this song is perfect if you’ve had a bad day or had to deal with frustrating people. Singing this at the top of your lungs makes everything okay again.
3. For Good from Wicked – another ‘Dancing Night’ staple with my friend. We love, love, love singing this. And it’s taken me a while, but I now know all the words. And yes, I’m proud of that!
2. One Song Glory from Rent – so unbelievably sad and my favorite song from Rent.
1. Let It Go from Frozen – ah Disney, you never fail to disappoint. This song is an empowering anthem and I dare you not to really belt it out when it comes on.
Bridie lives, daydreams and writes in Melbourne, Australia. She’s happiest at her computer, coffee in hand, Tim Tams on standby and her furry companion Poppy at her feet. When not writing she’s usually found with a book in her hand or playing with her tribe of nieces and nephews.
Discover more about her at www.bridieblake.com, https://www.facebook.com/AuthorBridieBlake or @BridieBlake on Twitter!
Giveaway: $25 Amazon GC