Interview with author of "Anniversary Killer", Alexandra Allred

Anniversary-Killer-Hi-Res-Cover

Genre: Fiction/Mystery & Detective/Women Sleuth


Available from: Amazon, Kobo, Barnes and Noble, and TWCS PH






 Summary:
Anniversary-Killer-3D-Book-Stack
One o’clock and all’s . . . well, not so well, but what’s new in the world of Allie Lindell?

Almost a year to the day, Mickey Callahan’s business partner was found dead from a single gunshot wound to the head and nothing but questions surrounding his murder. Now, Mickey is convinced that the same people are out to get him. After a sloppy kidnapping attempt, no one takes him seriously until the body count starts to grow.

While the part-time sleuth and full-time mother of two had promised to stay away from murder and mayhem for a while, Allie can’t resist the mystery that practically ignites in her own backyard.

The Allie Lindell saga returns with the third book in the series and more drama than ever as Allie continues to struggle to remember the love of her life and partner while trying to keep her head above water as she wades through the underworld of gambling, race horses, and murder.


Interview:

Can you please explain how you find the balance between doing what you love and being with those you love most?

Ooooh! Such a great, great, great question! Let me digress for a moment.

Before I got into fiction, I wrote a women's sports book, Entering the Mother Zone: Balancing Self, Health and Family. I got to interview some of the most powerful and well-known Olympic and professional athlete moms of the day (2000). I talked to athletes from just about every sport you could imagine but at the end of every interview I would ask, "Are you a better mother because you are an athlete?" or "Are you a better athlete because you are a mother?" It was fun to watch these strong women ponder such questions. For each woman, it was about balancing sport and babies, travel and family, training and home life. Here was the end result -- without exception! Each woman said that, yes, being an athlete helped them with motherhood because they had to be more structured and disciplined with their time, that because they spent x-amount of time in the gym (away from baby), they learned to value and appreciate the time with their baby that much more.
On the flip side, by being a mother, they learned to relax, let up, accept that sometimes you can't control everything. This answer was fascinating for me because some of my idols (Peggy Flemming, Mary Lou Retton, American Gladiator Skye, etc) all talked about being control freaks before having babies and then suddenly realized other things in life were more important.

As I was listening to these women, I found so much comfort because they were saying what I had been feeling. By traveling on the US bobsled team and training like a dog, I missed a lot of baby things. When I was home, I ate up every moment! I know for a fact that I was a very chill mom because of bobsledding and I know I was a better athlete because of my baby training.

In Anniversary Killer (and Roadkill and Sweetbreath), Allie is always struggling and .... .yes, I did base much of this on my own life. Here's the truth. Other people don't like to see a mom knocking herself out when they think she should be at home all day with the babies. I took a lot of heat for training for the bobsled team. Allie takes a lot of heat for her super sleuthing ways. She can't help herself. She can't help hunting and seeking and searching. She loves that heart pounding feeling of coming upon something so when she is home with her babies later on, cuddling on the couch watching Snow White for the three billionth time, she's happy. She's content. She's okay with it!  And that only makes her girls all the happier.

How successful do you think you have been at achieving that balance?

I can't and don't recommend bobsledding through the early years of having babies and toddlers! Ha! But ... I think I found a great balance for me. I'm hyper and I'm a bit of a thrill seeker so it was just what I needed to settle down with my babies. I recall being at the top of the mountain in Lake Placid, New York. It was a track that many Europeans refused to compete on because at that time, it was considered one of the most dangerous tracks in the world. Expensive sleds were beaten up on that track -- sometimes beyond repair. My driver, Chrissy Spiezio, and I were about to go and I was so scared that my legs were literally shaking from fear. There had been a severe crash before us and the delay for opening up the track again had been so long that I could see that it had rocked Chrissy. I wanted so desperately to just be home, holding my babies. Man, I could almost smell them. That's how badly I wanted to be home.

Our light turned green. USA II - we were up. Gulp.  I hit that sled so hard and we were off. Later, we found out that we broke the track record for the women but I couldn't pack my bags fast enough to go home. I was so super pumped but my reward was waiting for me at home!

Bottom line is -- whether you are a business woman, a fulltime blogger, writer, bobsledder, runner, dog groomer, even student ... if you are doing something you love that allows you to express yourself in a positive way so that when you're with your babies you feel totally content and full ... you have found balance. And even as I write this, I am thinking of a friend who once told me that as soon as she had her baby in her hands THAT was her balance. Whatever it is that brings you a sense of wholeness and contentment ... that's what I wish for every mom because that makes for much happier babies, too!

What would you do differently, if you could?

I'll answer this one for Allie. Great question, by the way! Allie is still struggling with what she wants and the guilt she feels for not quite playing the role others think she should play. What is interesting is we had a reviewer (a man) for Roadkill TOTALLY not get this point. His review was that Allie had promised to stay home, have babies and raise the family. Once she got that gig, however, she felt restless and wanted to venture out from time to time, returning to her reporter roots. The review was that Allie broke her promise, that she was complaining that life at home with the babies was not all that she thought it would be and therefore, she wanted some adventure.

But does any mom really know what she is stepping in to? I know so many working moms who crave to be at-home moms and visa versa ... the grass is always greener ...  For Allie, she struggles because she wants BOTH worlds but she is not honest about what she does. Instead of being honest about it all, she sneaks around ... its funny reading but in real life ... you might want to choke her!

Any parenting failures that you would like to share? Preferably funny stories - every mother has them :)

Just now I looked over to my 21 year old and said, "What parenting failures have I had?" Kerri said, "You stared at me all the time thinking I would smother in my sleep and now I'm neurotic." "You try to do too many things and now your kids think that's normal and we're all doing too much and we're all neurotic." "You were so determined that we were all going to be healthy and hated medicine so much that now I won't even take an Advil when I have a headache and I'm neurotic about medicine." "You ..."  OKAY - NEVER MIND!
Gee. I really can't think of anything. I've been perfect!

Any parenting successes?

Okay, now I'm super happy to say that when I raised my kids and would ask them, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I would never let them say just one thing but always had them list 4 or 5 things! Because ... seriously, why do we do that? Why do we ask a kid what he or she wants to be like there can only be one answer?! So I would have them give me multiple dream careers. Today, Kerri is an artist, a violinist, a teacher, going for a double major in music and anthropology. She's a muralist, works with special needs kids and wants to write a book.  Katie, #2, is a song writer, trying to get in to fitness modeling and earn her yoga certification. Tommy, #3, who is 15, has already written a book, is designing software for a video game, is going for his black belt and when he graduates from high school he will have also earned his associates degree so .... I may have neurotic kids but dammit ... they're impressively neurotic!


All kidding aside ... here is what I am MOST happy about. They are nice people. They don't talk back or disrespect. They love animals, people, the environment and they are truly nice people. :)




About the Author:

aallred
Alexandra Allred is a former national and professional athlete turned adventure writer turned humorist and novelist. She’s often been called the next Erma Bombeck with a grudge. Her annual Christmas letters, which have frequently made the news, could make the Grinch weep with joy. For a taste of holiday glee, see http://www.allredgreetings.blogspot.com

Allred is a writer of fiction and nonfiction alike, but is most proud of the Allie Lindell series. Several close friends from her sports background and personal life have been the source of inspiration for the books. And just like Allie Lindell, Allred grew up with a father who taught her the love of reading a good obituary column.

Allred writes for Waxahachie Daily Light newspaper, continues to testify in Washington D.C. on behalf of children with asthma and our need for clean air, and she’s never too far from her gym in Midlothian, Texas. You can always drop her a note at www.alexandratheauthor.com


Connect with the Author:
Twitter  * Facebook * Website * Blog
Praise for Anniversary Killer

"Another humorous Allie story, and it was nice to see her sister joining the gang."  - Andrea Goodreads Review

978db-2twcs-blog-tour-banner

0 comments:

Post a Comment