#ArmchairBEA Day 5 ~ Topic of Choice ~ Books into Movies



Turning books into movies isn't a new thing. Yes, the theaters have been flooded with film versions of best selling novels since the very beginning. Some are terrible representations, but most are close to what is seen in our minds eye as we read.

Classics

As for the classics, many have been turned into films more than once. So, which is the best adaptation? In my opinion, some of these are.

Pride & Prejudice (2005)




Yes, I do love Colin Firth in the BBC version, but I couldn't warm up to Jennifer Ehle as Lizzie. I adored Kiera Knightly and Matthew Macfadden as the destined couple.

Sense & Sensibility (1996)




I already was a huge Emma Thompson fan when this movie came out, but Kate Winslet blew me away as Marianne. She was exactly how I pictured her.

Frankenstein (1994)





Famed director, Francis Ford Coppala, took a chance on this story that had been brought to the screen many times before. Complete win in my opinion.


Classics Re envisioned

Some screenwriters have attempted to give an older tale new life by bringing the characters into modern life. Some have had great success.

Clueless (1995)




This adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma was a rousing success for writer/director Amy Heckerling and shot stars Alicia Silverstone and Paul Rudd to instant fame.

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)




Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew has always been a favorite of mine. I had always believed the Shrew was very misunderstood and Julia Stiles portrayal was right on the money for me.

What the Heck were they thinking

There are some movies that stray so far from their book counterparts, you might wonder what the screenwriter was on while writing.

Austenland (2013)




Austenland was really a good movie as well as a good book. The two were just so different. The whole reason the lead character, Jane Hayes, travels to Austenland is completely different in the novel than the movie. That fact alone changes so many aspects for the movie. I liked both versions, but I can see how fans of the book could be disappointed in the differences.


My Favorites

These are some of my favorite books that have been turned into movies. I believe they are wonderful adaptations of the original text brought to life.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)





The Princess Bride (1987)






Warm Bodies (2013)





The Fault in Our Stars (Will be released June 6th, 2014)





This is Where I Leave You (Will be released September 12th, 2014)





What are some of your favorites? Let me know.



16 comments:

  1. I had no idea that Clueless and 10 Things I Hate About You were adaptations. It makes sense, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are two of my favorites."West Side Story" is also known as a modernization of "Romeo and Juliet" and some say "The Lion King" is loosely based on "Hamlet". Kind of funny when you think about it.

      Delete
  2. Yay Princess Bride! I was surprised how closely it followed the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the book right before the movie came out. It made me fall in love with the genre. I was so happy to see what I imagined on screen.

      Delete
  3. Princess Bride is one of my all time favorite movies. Great choices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such a crush on Westley growing up.

      Delete
  4. Great topic to write on! Adaptations are so often slammed but I agree with you that there have been some really decent ones created.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last couple I haven't seen, obviously, but I love all the others you have listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fault in Our Stars comes out next week. It was one of those books you go into knowing you are going to ball your eyes out at some point but LOVE in the end. The author, John Green, is also a big video blogger and I have been following his vlogs as they were making the movie. I'm pretty sure it is going to be spot on with the book.

      Delete
  6. Warm bodies was a good movie. I thought it was kind of funny...zombies living in an airport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not one for horror or zombies, but when a friend suggested the book, I couldn't believe how much I was laughing as I read. I usually pick the books that make me cry, so this was a refreshing change.

      Delete
  7. Princess Bride: Awesome (Book or movie, but I liked the movies tone better.)
    My favorite movie that was a book first is Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I recently wrote about the book and the movie when Bob Hoskins died (so sad).
    I really didn't like the book, which I read many years ago, but I was so glad someone took the creative potential and make something amazing from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the book, but I did adore the movie. So sad about Bob. :(

      Delete
  8. I didn't know that Clueless was a book :D You learn something new every day! Great list, Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved 10 things I hate about You when it came out! And Warm Bodies was SOOOO good. I would say the LOTR movies were epically awesome as well. :)

    ReplyDelete