Indie Block Party: My WIP, a holiday romance "Holiday Cure for the Cursed"



Today I want to share with you a project that I am almost finished with and I hope to submit by the end of the month.

I love Christmas. It is one of my favorite times of the year. As it happens to be fun to experience, the Christmas season is also fun to write about.

The Indie Block Party gave me some questions for this post that I will love answering for you.

How did the idea for this story originate?

Actor Nathan Fillion. Photo via fanpop.com



I get some of my best ideas in that space of time between awake and asleep. I remember going to bed one night thinking I needed to write a new Christmas story. I had been watching the TV show “Castle” at some point that day and my brain used the visual of the star, Nathan Fillion, as my new leading man, Daniel. The nest morning, the wheels started turning and the story began.







What is the story about?

Here’s the blurb.

Daniel Digby is cursed by his good looks. After years of sexual harassment, Daniel has had enough of conniving and controlling women. He is starting a new job and moving to a new apartment with the hope of a less sexually charged environment. On the advice of his best friend, he believes his best chance to avoid any workplace entanglements is to wear a wedding ring.

CiCi Newport is cursed by her family’s money. Since the death of her father, his money has influenced every facet of her life. She has never known a man who was more interested in her than in her bank account. When she takes a new direction in her career, her “no dating” rule is firmly in place.

A chance meeting at CiCi’s favorite coffee spot has both of them rethinking their romantic agendas.

With Daniel’s new boss to impress and his co-workers to avoid, Daniel and CiCi find themselves entwined for the holidays. Can they break each other’s curse and finally find the cure they’ve been searching for?

Can you share the first couple paragraphs?

“Why do I let you talk me into these things?” Daniel Digby moaned when he was handed another shot of whiskey.

            “You need to celebrate. Finally, this sexual harassment crap is over and you can move on with your life.” Daniel’s best friend, Logan, took another shot and slapped him on the back.

            His friend was right. Daniel had battled through the sexual harassment lawsuit he had brought against his former employer. Now that he had settled the case, it was time to take the position he had been offered as a senior media consultant at Henderson Public Relations.

Sound good so far? It only gets better from there. I have completely fallen in love with Daniel and CiCi. This is a short story, but who knows, I might keep going. These characters have so much potential and I have a feeling this couple taking on New York City could be so much fun.

I am planning on submitting this the end of this month. If they like it, fingers crossed, it could be out this December.

I have several things I can work on once this is done, but I haven’t decided which direction to go yet. I’ll have to wait and see where the inspiration takes me. 



8 comments:

  1. This sounds good!! I love a good romance. I cant wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lindsey, Daniel Digby, great name. I like the idea of this story. Look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love the idea of a holiday story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I get some of my best ideas while half asleep/half awake. Seems like the only time my mind is totally clear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reads like a really fun story. Daniel and Cici sounds like interesting characters and the no-dating rule is always to be broken.
    Good luck with the submission.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep pen and notebook bedside because that is definitely a creative time...and I hate when I forget that super genius idea by the next morning, if I didn't write it down! BTW, love the fact that you are bringing up men being sexually harassed. It happens as well, but no one really talks about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love short stories and semi-consciousness. I also like how you've flipped the thing with women worrying about being appreciated only for their looks and men worrying about only being appreciated for their money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Throwing in another echo on the semi-sleepy state for generating ideas. Sometimes when I get frustrated with a stuck point in a story and its late I just go to bed early, and see what I come up with.

    Good luck with the submission. A December release would be apropro.

    ReplyDelete