Indie Block Party ~ Interview with Fantasy Romance Novelist A. L. Butcher


I have the extreme pleasure to interview the author of The Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles, A. L. Butcher. Check out the two books in the series on Goodreads.


The Light Beyond the Storm ChroniclesThe Shining Citadel

     1. Can you tell me a little about yourself?

I am a British writer of fantasy/fantasy romance and erotica. I was raised in the South East of England but now reside in the South West.  I live with my partner and a motley assortment of pets.



  1. What originally sparked your writing career?
I have been writing for as long as I can remember but have only been publishing for a couple of years. The books came from an idea for something else and in sharing them with a couple of friends I was convinced to try and publish them.  I had been writing adventures for RPGs and world systems for a while so it all grew from there.



  1. What inspires you to write Fantasy/Romance?
I have always liked fantasy and historical romance. I also liked to play fantasy RPGs such as Warhammer, DnD Vampire. Fantasy gives a writer so much to create - whole new worlds can appear with magic, marvelous creatures and folks and refer back to our own lore and past in many ways.  A lot of fantasy has quite sterile characters but my characters are passionate and the romance is an important part of the world and the stories. They would not be who they are without their relationships.



  1. If you could be any character in your novels, who would you be?
That is a tricky one.  I would say Dii but she has had such a terrible past I wouldn’t wish that on anyone so I will say Archos. He is rich, dangerous and has a lot of power. He is also very clever and mysterious.



  1. If you’re not writing, what do you enjoy doing?
I like to read. I read a lot, usually with a couple of books on the go. I have a diploma in Classical Studies as well as my degree so, although I am no longer studying, I like to read history books and watch natural history. I like taking photos, although I am not particularly good.



  1. With the surge in superhero fiction, who is your favorite superhero and why?
Batman, or possibly Ironman. Most of the others have some form of mutation or genetic superpower which gives them the enhancement. Batman has his own skills and his nifty toys and those are his advantages. He is not magical, an alien or a mutant or a god, he is a man, with a man’s weaknesses and strengths. He is also not actually very nice a lot of the time. I am not keen on goody-two-shoes characters, so I do prefer an antihero.



  1. What would your friends and family say some of your best qualities are?
I am loyal. I am creative and I am open-minded, although I do not suffer fools easily.



  1. If you were on a desert island and you could bring one person and three items, who and what would you bring?
Items – a boat to get off the island…
I am not sure I could choose one person but probably either my partner or my best friend.
Items – My laptop (assuming it could be run there).
        My favourite book.
      A fridge, which was always full of food…


Thank you to A. L. and everyone participating in the Indie Block Party.







6 comments:

  1. What a great interview! I love your reasoning for your favorite hero. I never realized why, but I'm an Ironman fan...and I think it's because he uses his brain to create all his gadgets, like Batman. Like you, I love creating fantasy as well! Something so liberating about creating whole new worlds where anything can happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Batman! He's almost as cool as Batgirl (because, let's face it, it would be weird if I had wanted to grow up to become Batman).
    Fun interview.
    Thanks for participating in the Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :) I am definitely more of an anti-hero fan. Batman is very cool, as is Ironman.

    Thanks for the opportunity to be interviewed for the block party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Batman : Justice League :: Iron Man : The Avengers. I love Batman for all the same reasons. Hopefully Ben Affleck won't break the bat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what RPG work have you done?! Worlds? Adventures?

    Agree on those super heroes, both use more mundane resources. To put it in DnD terms Tony Stark maxed his Int, but Batman rolled 18s on everything.

    The gadgetry in the recent movies has been fun. My husband likes to call one of Tony's collection of stuff the "Garden Man" suit. If you've watched III I think you know what thats from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think bringing a boat to the island is like cheating a bit.

    ReplyDelete