Author on Author Book Review: "The Journey of Champions" by Lisa Bilbrey





Genre: Romance
Medium: Available in eBook
Purchase: Amazon & Barnes & Noble
Narrative: Third Person




Summary: Travis McCoy thought the journey home would be the hardest choice he ever had to make. It isn’t until he finds himself walking out the door and leaving his family behind that he realizes his journey is only just beginning. Now, with only a handful of weeks until Christmas, Travis tries to find his way back home. This time, he plans on staying forever.


“The Journey of Champions” is a continuation of the story published in the Harvest Treats anthology entitled “The Journey Home”.

The first thing I want to mention was how I felt while reading this story. It was like slipping on an old comfy sweater, warm and comforting. Even with Travis in a different setting than he was in “The Journey Home”, the changes he had made were still evident. I remember sighing in delight several times while reading, happy that Travis was really moving on with his life.

Travis is in transition at this point. He’s tying up his loose ends in Miami so he can move back to Texas, back to Penelope and Max, permanently. At first thought, I imagined Travis would be making this journey on his own, as many great heros are forced to do. I was pleasantly surprised when Russ, Travis’ father, joins him as he is waiting for his plane.

Just when he was about to hightail it to the nearest restroom, someone sat down next to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Travis looked up, gasping when he saw Russ there.
            “Didn’t think I was gonna make it before they called our flight,” Russ chuckled before he could utter a sound.
            “What the hell are you doing here?” Travis asked.
            Russ smiled and shook his head. “I’m coming with you, boy. I once made the mistake of letting you go. I’ll be damned if I let it happen again. Besides, Miami is a huge part of your life, Travis. It’s time for me to see it, don’t you think?”
            “But I thought you hated to fly.” Travis lifted an eyebrow in his father’s direction.
            “I do,” Russ admitted. “But for you, I’m willing to give it a go. Just don’t laugh at me if I get a little scared. If people were meant to fly, God would have given us wings.”
            Travis laughed. “You have my word, Dad.”
            “Good,” Russ muttered, stretching his feet out in front of him.
            “Dad, thank you for coming with me,” Travis said, his voice sincere. “It means a lot.”
            “You’re welcome, Travis. Today is a new start for both of us – a new journey.”
            Travis nodded. “The journey to forever.”

What could have been a lonely and painful journey for Travis turned into a father/son bonding experience and a cleansing step forward in his new life. A little spoiler, Travis does make it back to Texas after a couple bumps in the road. I’m eagerly awaiting the third installment of this story, so I hope Bilbrey won’t keep me waiting long.






About Lisa Bilbrey

Lisa Bilbrey is a mom of three and has been married to her high school sweetheart since 1996.
Finding a love in the written word, she started writing as a way to express herself. From the first word she wrote, she'd found her heart and soul. Always willing to learn, she's spends much of her time trying to improve as a storyteller.
In late 2011, Lisa opened Renaissance Romance Publishing with Michele Richard and Laura Braley.
Links—






1 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you so much for the amazing review! I love Travis and Penelope so much and am so happy that I decided to continue on with their story!

    ReplyDelete