Top Ten Movies I never get tired of watching


            Over the years, I have become a movie junkie. I actually worked at a movie theater for a number of years. That is where the trouble began. Indie, blockbuster, it doesn’t matter. If it has a good plot and halfway decent acting, I’ll watch it. Not many could make it onto my list of movies I will never get tired of watching, but there are more than I thought. So now, I share my top ten with you and hope you will share your favorites with me as well.

Chick Flicks

While You Were Sleeping (1995)



This is the movie I really found Sandra Bullock. It’s a Christmas movie, but not at the same time. I can watch it anytime, night or day. Might even pull out the DVD today. The situation the main character, Lucy, finds herself in, was completely original and tugged at my heartstrings. I think I saw it at least three times in the movie theater when I was a poor student. (Why do you think I got a job at a theater? FREE MOVIES!) If you’re in the mood for a pick me up, pick up this film, and find out how Lucy and Peter fall in love in the most interesting circumstances.

America’s Sweethearts (2001)



I have always loved John Cusack so seeing this movie was a must for me. I had heard at one time that they asked Julia Roberts to play the “Gwen” character, but I’m so glad she choose the part of the sister who gets walked all over by her diva-esque sister, Kiki. This movie does something that most don’t; it makes me laugh out loud. I can smile or snicker, but movies that actually make me laugh and giggle are a rarity. This crazy, falling in love with your sister-in-law, Cusack comedy is just right for me.

Action

Red (2010)



It’s Bruce Willis. Come on, you just have to see it for that fact alone. Add Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, Mary-Louise Parker, John Malkovich, and the always-yummy Karl Urban, you have the making of one kick ass movie. Mary-Louise and Helen carry the boys through with their comedic skills while the boys kick ass and take names. When you love a little comedy with your action, Red is the movie for you.

Alien Invasion

Independence Day (1996)



This was at the beginning of Will Smith’s heyday. The casts of characters and well-known actors that play them have me watching this movie over and over again. It one that is on television all the time and if I come across it, I drop everything to sit and watch it. The special effects are awesome. The balance between comedy, action, and drama is just right. No matter how many times I watch it, I always tear up at President Whitmore’s speech just before the attack on the alien ship.

President Whitmore:  And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the 
night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day! 


Fantasy

The Princess Bride (1987)



The first time I saw this movie, I had no idea what it was about. I wanted to watch it because Robin Wright was on one of my favorite soap opera’s at the time, Santa Barbara. (Yes, I’ve watched soaps off and on since I was three. So not healthy.) I was taken in by the sweet story the grandfather was telling to his sick grandson. I totally fell head over heals for Cary Elwes and his character Westley. If you saw this movie time and time again, you might spout lines at random.

Indigo: Hello. My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Prince Humperdinck: Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.

A feel good movie the whole family can enjoy!

Animated

The Little Mermaid (1989)



This whole story always entranced me as a child and this was the first time I had seen the story come to life in a movie. I love all the extra characters they threw in. Sebastian and Flounder are priceless figures in film history. Disney was churning out a new movie every year at that time it seems, but they were all gems. This one was definitely my favorite by far.

Scary

The Frighteners (1996)



Michael J. Fox is amazing in everything he does, but this movie just tops his lists of remarkable credits for me. The Comedy is spot on. John Astin, aka Gomez Adams, had me rolling from the first moment he came on screen as the Judge with a tendency to shoot his ghostly pistol. Chi McBride had me crying I was laughing so hard at some of the lines his character, Cyrus, spoke.

Cyrus: I'm 'bout to go like Jesse on you're ass. I'm goin' to find me some other black ghosts and then organize a march. The African American Apparition Coalition. The A-double AC. And I'm gonna tell you something, Frank. It ain't nuthin worse than a bunch of pissed off brothers that's already dead.

I was totally creeped out by Jake Busey’s portrayal of the soul-stealing ghost, Johnny Bartlet. Even though I get chills every time I watch it, I can’t help but love every minute of it.

Historical

Pride & Prejudice (2005 version)



I know, I know, every one loves the Colin Firth version of Mr. Darcy. Yes, I love that sexy brit too, but Matthew McFadden in the role took my breath away. Being stoic yet showing so much emotion at the same time is remarkable. Plus, I love, love, love Donald Sutherland in the role of Mr. Bennett, perfect casting. I wasn’t a huge Kiera Knightly fan at the time I saw this. (I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t see it until about 2 years after it came out.) I do love how she plays Elizabeth, spunky yet vulnerable. I just love every thing about this film and when I need a little inspiration, this is the movie I turn to.

Ugly Duckling Story

Penelope (2006)



I can go either way with Cristina Ricci movies, some I absolutely love, others I wished I had never seen. This one goes in the love column. This is a fun story about finding love beyond the nose on your face. It doesn’t hurt that James McAvoy plays the love interest either. It’s a great movie to watch with my daughter that has a great lesson in the center of it, love who you are.

Screwball

Spaceballs (1987)



I will start off by saying, Mel Brooks is a comedy genius. It is very difficult to pick my favorite movie of his. “Robin Hood: Men in Tights” and “To Be or Not To Be” are close, but “Spaceballs” just has that extra humor that pushes it to the best on my list. Also, I’m a Star Wars fan and this spoof has me loving that series even more. May the schwartz be with you.

That’s my top ten! There are many others, but these are my favorites. Leave me a comment and let me know what your favs are.


0 comments:

Post a Comment